20.6.13

LONDON WALK (statement of intent)



Theme: Travel and Reportage
Candidate name: Fran Martínez
Title of the theme: London Walk

Intentions/purpose of the photography to be undertaken
My intention with this work is going around a big town like London, and photographing things that show both the human and the architectural aspects of the city. This pictures will be included in my location Photography course blog. I will prepare a digital presentation with them, with ambient music.

Reasons for selection of theme (including inspiration from the work of others)
I decided to show a different London view, because i have been there a few times but on this occasion is the first one that i go there all the time with my camera ready, and I can concentrate on all I can see around. A possible title for this could be something like “walk around London” because is that, a two days walking in the capital.
This is a total different work than the first one I made for this course, based on portraits of people. I would like to show other side of my photography, like it is travel photos.
There are a lot of photographers that inspired me, making great essays about big cities, One of them was Eugene Atget, with his work about Paris. My work is completely different than his one, but I love the way he tried to show that city, I have one of his books.
Another great spanish photographer that made a nice work around Barcelona and inspired me was Francesc Catalá- Roca, that lived there in the fifties. I love the way he used the light in this long work.

The photo imaging equipment and medium that will be used and why
I will use my Olympus EP L1 “mirrorless” digital camera. This a very versatile camera, because is quite small and very useful for street shoots. People can’t see you with this one, it is not like a reflex camera that make people see you by its size…
I feel invisible with this tool, I move around and nobody see me (joking, but close to reality).Unlike the other project, I don’t use the tripod in any picture, but sometimes I have put the camera on the ground, over a bin, or in any other places for having stability.
I use two lenses, 19mm 2.8 (38mm equivalent) for most of the shoots, and a 50mm 1.7 for close ups (100mm equivalent).

 Techniques that will be used and how they will help convey the visual message
I will use many different techniques in this series. From f11 apertures for some city scapes, to wide open for some pictures inside the museums. In some shoots I use slow speed for having ths movement sensation (arriving to 8 seconds), and in others, very high speed.

How light quality can be used to help convey the visual message
Like all the modern towns, London has a really big mix of lights that you can show (or not). I shall be using from natural lighting (available on the day) to the artificial ones when the sun goes down, that the city offers to me in the different places. This is a very general point of view of the town, then I have to show all types of lights.
Perhaps it will be necessary to use high ISO (400 or 800) for some images to compensate low lighting conditions, we will see.

Safety considerations
I have to wear coat and good boots for walking, because I am going to be around for many kilometers (hours) and the weather in London is not really predictable weather so taking an umbrella is a good idea.

Legal aspects, ethical considerations, copyright, permissions, release forms.
I have not think about this point but the main is beware with the photos of the people, I don’t use to shoot anybody without permission, this is a basic for me. The town invites you to do this type of pictures but normally they are not very interesting (almost for me). Of course this is more committed if you take pictures of kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment